What We Teach
1. THE BIBLE (2 Timothy 3:16-17)
We teach that the Bible is God-inspired and is our only standard for faith and practice.
2. THE NATURE OF GOD (Matthew 28:19; John 1:1)
We teach that there is only one God; He has existed eternally as three persons: Father, Son (Jesus Christ), and the Holy Spirit.
3. JESUS (John 10:30; 3:16; 14:6; Romans 1:3; 10:9)
We teach that Jesus is the Son of God, equal in power and glory with the Father and the Holy Spirit. While on earth, He was fully God and fully man. He died for our sins and rose again on the third day. He is the Messiah and will come again to judge the world.
4. THE HOLY SPIRIT (Acts 1:4-5, 8; 1 Corinthians 12:13)
We teach that the Holy Spirit, 3rd person of the Trinity, actually takes up residence inside the believer to enable him or her to live a powerful Christian life. We also believe that the Spirit indwells the believer today in the same way He did in the New Testament times.
5. MAN’S PROBLEM (Genesis 1:26-27; Romans 5:12)
We teach that man was created in the image of God but through voluntary disobedience, turned away from moral innocence and became a sinner. Man’s central problem, therefore, is his continual rejection of God’s standard.
6. THE SOLUTION TO MAN’S PROBLEM (John 3:16)
We teach that even while we were hostile to God, Jesus took our punishment on Himself, providing a pardon for all who would trust in Him.
7. GOD’S GIFT (Ephesians 2:8-9)
We teach that it is impossible to do anything to earn or merit God’s priceless love; instead, forgiveness comes to us as a gift from God.
8. DISCOVERING GOD’S GIFT (2 Corinthians 7:10; 1 John 1:9)
We teach that by sincerely and wholeheartedly turning to Jesus, by faith and repentance, we are accepted by God and forgiven of our sins.
9. THE NEW BIRTH (John 1:12; 3:3)
We teach that the change which takes place in the heart, and the life of any person who turns to Christ is real, miraculous, and lasting.
10. DAILY CHRISTIAN LIFE (John 14:23; Hebrews 6:1)
We teach that it is the proper goal of each Christian to grow in his or her relationship with Jesus Christ and each other, and this growth is evidenced by a more Christ-like character.
11. BAPTISM AND THE LORD’S SUPPER (Matthew 28:19)
We teach that baptism by immersion in water is our identification with Christ’s death, burial, and resurrection and is a public declaration of our identification with Jesus and His death, burial, and resurrection. We also teach that we remember our Lord’s death by regularly taking Communion.
12. GIVING (Psalm 54:6; 2 Corinthians 9:6-10)
We teach that every Christian is to honor God with joyful tithes (proportional giving) and sacrificial offerings.
13. THE SPIRIT-FILLED LIFE (Acts 2:4; Galatians 5:16-26; Ephesians 5:18)
We teach that it is God’s will that we live our daily lives dependent on the Spirit, and as we do, we will give evidence of God’s life in us.
14. THE GIFTS OF THE SPIRIT (1 Corinthians 12:1-11, 28; Ephesians 4:7-11; Romans 12:6-8)
We teach that the Holy Spirit gives spiritual gifts to the Christian and that all the gifts in the New Testament are still available to the church today.
15. DIVINE HEALING (Hebrews 13:8; James 5:14-16)
We teach that Jesus can still heal the sick in response to prayer given in faith.
16. THE SECOND COMING OF CHRIST (Matthew 24:30-31; 1 Thessalonians 4:16, 17; 5:1-2)
We teach that Jesus will return to this earth with power and will be visible to all and that His return may be at any time.
17. CHURCH RELATIONSHIP (Acts 16:5; Hebrews 10:25)
We teach that it is a joy and responsibility to identify ourselves with other Christians by gathering together with them.
18. CIVIL GOVERNMENT (Romans 13:1-7; Acts 5:22-29; 1 Peter 2:13-14)
We teach that civic authority should be obeyed at all times except in matters that directly oppose a higher commandment from God, which we believe is found in the Bible.
19. THE FINAL JUDGMENT (2 Corinthians 5:10; Hebrews 9:27; Revelation 20:11-15)
We teach that each person will stand before God in judgment and receive either eternal reward or eternal punishment.
20. HEAVEN (1 Corinthians 2:9; Revelation 21:1-4; 22:3-5)
We teach that heaven is the glorious eternal home of all those who have their sins forgiven in Christ Jesus.
21. HELL (Revelation 20:10-15)
We teach that Hell is a place of everlasting torment away from the loving presence of God; and that it awaits all who reject God’s forgiveness in Christ.
22. EVANGELISM (Mark 16:15; 2 Corinthians 5:18-21; James 5:20)
We teach that winning individuals, families, and nations to God through the Good News of Jesus is the principal purpose of the church.
23. GENDER (Genesis 2:18-25; Mark 10:6-9)
We teach that God wonderfully and immutably creates each person as either male or female. Together these two distinct, complementary genders reflect the image and nature of God. We believe that rejection of one’s biological gender is a rejection of the image of God and is sinful.
24. MARRIAGE (Genesis 2:18-25; Mark 10:6-9; 1 Corinthians 6:18-20)
We teach that the term “marriage” has only one meaning and that meaning is a marriage sanctioned by God, which joins one man and one woman in a single, exclusive union. We teach that God intends sexual intimacy to occur only between a man and a woman who are married to one another. We teach that God has commanded that no intimate sexual activity take place outside of the covenant of marriage between one man and one woman.
25. SEXUALITY (Exodus 20:14; 22:19; Romans 1:24-32; 1 Corinthians 5:1-13; Colossians 3:5)
We teach that any form of sexual immorality (including adultery, fornication, homosexuality, lesbianism, bisexual conduct, bestiality, incest, pornography, pedophilia, attempting to change one’s biological sex, or otherwise acting upon any disagreement with one’s biological sex) is sinful and offensive to God.
26. CHURCH DISCIPLINE (Matthew 18:15-18; 1 Corinthians 5:1-13)
We teach that the leadership of Community Church of the Hills, and particularly the Board of Elders of Community Church of the Hills, has the obligation to shepherd and protect the congregation. Accordingly, we teach that the Board of Elders of Community Church of the Hills has the right and authority to adopt policies of church discipline and to carry out those policies.